This year it’s my Golden Birthday – turning 27 on the 27th. It only happens once in a lifetime, but then again, technically, doesn’t every day only happen once in a lifetime?
A year ago today, I had no idea what the future held, but I’m pretty sure I pictured turning 27 in a much different context. Not necessarily better, but definitely different. A lot can happen in a year. A month ago, I was dreading turning 27 because I felt like I haven’t accomplished all the things that I thought I would’ve done by now.
I’m starting to realize at 27, when people ask the million-dollar question, “What do you want to do in life?”, they actually start expecting serious answers. No longer do you get the chuckle and the response, “Oh, but you still have so much time,” when you say you don’t know. That doesn’t really fly anymore.
But since today is a joyous occasion, I’m going to list all of the things that I have done in with my life thus far. And because lists are fun.
- Graduated college (five years ago!!)
- Moved to Taiwan just because
- Lived in said foreign country for two years, and living like a diva no less
- Moved to Hawaii just because
- Traveled all around the island and fell hard in love with it
- Got a real job and got started on a path to a potential career
- Stayed in touch with my close friends from high school and college
- Made lots of new friends all over the world
- Traveled to Europe
- Traveled to Japan
- Traveled back to Hawaii multiple times since I’ve left
- Eaten my way around the world
- And yet, still managed to drop 2 pant sizes (this is recent, and I’m really proud of this one!)
Today, I turn 27 in a new city that I’m starting to fall in love with, living with the best roommates, surrounded with the love of family and friends that have stood with me through all the turbulence and nomadic decisions, and most importantly, I turn 27 with renewed feelings of ambition, humility, gratefulness, and faith for the future. It’s going to be a good year.